Some people tend to have a naturally dry skin that makes the skin easy to crack. The thickened dry skin (callus) around the heel that is more likely to crack is often due to mechanical factors that increase pressures in that area (eg the way you walk).
Factors that can also be involved in the cause of cracked heel skin include:
* prolonged standing
* being overweight
* open back on the shoes
* some medical conditions predispose to a drying skin (eg diabetes)
* skin conditions (eg psoriasis)removing the hard thick skin by debriding it (often the splits will not heal if the skin is not removed). This may need to be done on a regular basis. Regular maintenance may be the best way to prevent the problem.Daily apply a mixture of rosewater and glycerin. It soothes your heels and cures them fast.
- Squeeze one lemon in a ¼ bucket of water, soak your feet weekly twice and wash your feet using pumice stone and soap.
- Massage your heels with coconut oil before going to bed in the night. Scrub properly and rinse off in the morning.
- Mix papaya and lemon juice, apply on the affected area and wash off after 20 minutes.
- Soak your feet in warm water with a little soap in it for 15 minutes, it loosens the dry skin and wash off using pumice stone.
- Apply a foot cream especially designed for treating cracked heels before sleep in the night and wash off using a pumice stone in the morning.
- Apply the pulp of a ripe banana on the affected area, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and wash it properly. It helps in fast healing.
- If your cracks are causing pain, try this home remedy to heal it fast. Melt little paraffin wax, add coconut oil to it, fill the cracks with the mixture before sleeping inthe night and wash off in the morning. Try it for 1 to 2 weeks for best results.
- Apply vaseline or paraffin oil or petroleum jelly or hydrogenated vegetable oil on your heels after washing your feet clean i.e. after doing any of the above procedures. This helps your feet to recover to its normal condition.
- removing the hard thick skin by debriding it (often the splits will not heal if the skin is not removed). This may need to be done on a regular basis. Regular maintenance may be the best way to prevent the problem.
- Once the repair work is done, a lighter Neat Feat Foot Moisturizer can be used on a daily basis to maintain smooth heels.